Building commissioning in new construction provides documented confirmation that building systems function in compliance with criteria set forth in the Project Documents to satisfy the Owner’s operational needs.
- We have not changed how buildings are designed and constructed. Many automation systems have very little coordinated operation resulting in poor energy performance, comfort issues and short lifespan. This happens even though energy efficient equipment is installed and the analysis says so.
- Mandatory disclosure of building energy efficiency. This is now often required at the time of sale or when a tenant lease commences.
- Regulations require inspection and testing of various equipment and systems during operation.
- Engineering tools – who owns them and who can use them?
- Murphy’s law – if anything can go wrong it will.