If you want to be sure your HVAC system is operating so it protects your health, the single best recommendation we can give you is to perform commissioning with health as your prime requirement.
If you are not familiar with commissioning, it is worth your time getting up to speed quickly. Commissioning is a process for successful projects by which you make sure your building is operating the way it was designed. Regular commissioning of engineering controls in existing buildings is like going to the doctor for an annual check-up. It helps you catch things early, before your building ends up in ER, where you can spend 10 times as much fixing the problem.
Our recommendation for HVAC engineering control checks to mitigate the spread of SARS-CoV-2 virus
Check HVAC systems air flows, sequence of operation and directional flow relationships including:
- Dampers or air valves operation
- Airflow measurement stations are reading correctly
- Temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors are reading correctly, if not clean, calibrate or replace
- Verify fume cupboard monitors/controllers are functioning properly
- Air quality sensors are reading correctly, if not clean, calibrate or replace element
- Verify control functions are controlling properly